Pages

Thursday 8 August 2013

Speed Rust and Pantina Tutorial

Sometimes (actually I reckon most of the time :) metal looks better when it has an aged look and whats even better is fast aging! Barbara over at Treasures from the Heart she a great tutorial and here it is..



Needed:
vinegar, white or apple cider
salt, just regular old salt out of my shaker.

For small items.

I fill a quart yogurt container half full of vinegar,
and sprinkle in some salt. (not measured, but guess 1 tsp.??)

dump your keys, clips, hinges, watch parts, locks...
any metal you want to 'age'.

I leave them over night, just 'cause it is convenient.
In morning, I take them out with my tongs (used only for this),
and put them on newspaper.
(you can try a couple hours if in hurry)

I leave them there for the day...again just because it is easy.
(the newspaper does not do anything special,
just keeps mess from getting on anything else. =)

Check to see how they are doing.
If not rusty or blue enough put them in again.
same process,and keep doing that till they are color or degree you want.
(you will see they continue to rust while even sitting out.)
The vinegar works to cut through the surface of the metal,
and the air oxidizes it.

PLEASE NOTE:
Different metals react differently.
Thus, some rust, some patina blue.
Brass is metal that turns blue.

When they are rusty enough, I rinse with water.
(to rinse I have another yogurt container with small holes poked in bottom.
I put them in there, run water over it and then shake water out).
Then dry with a rag..
If you will be handling them a lot I suggest spraying
them with clear sealer, but I have not done that yet.
A little rust never hurt me....=)

I use the same vinegar for weeks....
just add more salt all the time.
You can also sprinkle items with salt while on newspaper.
gives them a sort of splotchy look.

NOTE: some metals take longer to break through surface.
Be patient. if you do it enough times, almost anything will rust.
*Galvanized metal does not rust but this will cause a dull surface.

I pick up any little metal things at garage sales, and rust it all!!
so fun to use on collages, place in bowl as conversation piece.
Use old rusty clips to hold art.....

Thanks again to Barbara at Treasures from the heart were all the above is from

No comments:

Post a Comment